Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Robin Hood- and this time It's Russell Crowe in Tights! or was he?

Ahhhh.... Another Robin Hood movie. Something I am not a fan of, unless you are Mel Brooks, Hi Mel Brooks! That has to my absolute favorite movie that you ever made! I loved it! It hit my funny bone in all the right places. Must be my history degree. Mel, you and Cary and the gang, and that moving mole, BRILLIANT! Ahhh, but once again, I need to focus. So, here we go:

Russell Crowe. Cate Blanchett (Can she do any wrong, I don't think so, she was marvelous), William Hurt, Max Von Sydow. Here's the deal. I know the reviewers have already told you.

No tights. I was so disappointed. Imagine Russell in tights. That's what I was looking forward to, salivating for and instead? Lots of chain mail, tunics, etc. Not so much of the fun stuff. But I must say there was the real stuff.

Realistic costuming.
Realistic sets.
Lots of battle, lots of realistic sets of how life might be in 1199 and thereafter.
There will be spoilers coming. But I don't think anyone will be surprised. Who doesn't know Robin Hood. It's just........


Acceptably historically accurate. Considering what we get thrown at us.
HERE COMES THE SPOILER ALERT******************
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Here's the problem.....
Braveheart Redux.
Saving Private Redux.

I am not in the mood to look up the technology that the French had in the early 13th century (and they do have intelligence, even though they still can't build a car, I will defend them, I am part French after all- though really I am better called Western European Mutt), but during a scene somewhere in the movie it may remind you of another movie.......

Like Braveheart. There are lots of battle scenes that could have been lifted from the cutting floor of Braveheart if only there were no kilts. And at the end it, the French are invading England in boats that are remarkably similar to those used in the D-Day Invasion of the beaches of Normandy. And to top it all off, the movie ends, it ends, with Robin Longstride (Russell Crowe) being OUTLAWED! It's the Prequel. So, after two and one half hours, you will now be ready to see the next movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment