Monday, June 21, 2010

Jonah Hex- NOT a Chick Flick!

This is, as far as I know, and I'm not an expert, a movie made from DC Comics. And it is not a chic flick. That said, I really liked it. It took me awhile to let it simmer and stew after I saw it. Sometimes I have to let movies do that. It was nowhere on my list of films to see. But, as it happens, one of my movie-going lady friends picked it out and it was "Sunday brunch and a movie" day and we had to find something to see. After all, once the four of us decide on a day, it's sacred. These days, it's been hard to get us all together. And, unusually, we saw the movie first and then ate. I'm not sure we've ever done that in the 16 years we've been getting together. We've bagged the movies a couple of times in moments of crises. We've seen movies and not eaten because time is too short. But we've never, ever had the meal afterward. New precedent. Traditions can change. But enough about us. Back to the movie.

Here's a little background without spoiling the movie:
1. Jonah Hex fought for the Confederacy (the South) during the Civil War until he disobeyed a direct order of his commanding officer- Quentin Turnbull.
2. Quentin Turnbull wanted him to destroy a hospital full of innocents. Hex wouldn't do it. Unfortunately, this led to the death of Hex's best friend and Turnbull's son, Jeb Turnbull.
3. The death of Jeb Turnbull seriously angered Quentin Turnbull. He blamed Jonah Hex.
4. Quentin Turnbull took it out on Jonah.
5. Jonah sought out QT but found that he was dead. Became a drifter and bounty hunter. And then........ he found out that QT still lived!

The rest is wonderful mayhem and shoot 'em up. Some wicked cool effects and an awesome Eli Whitney machine that I think he didn't make. Aidan Quinn plays the President of USA, in case you are wondering.

This is a fun, entertaining movie, but not for the youngsters. I recommend it to comics fans who like the darker side, those who like adventure and westerns and of course, those who like short movies and the aforementioned other attributes.

No comments:

Post a Comment