Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Serious Man

Jane here- I just watched A Serious Man this evening, the Coen Brothers offering this year that has been nominated for Best Picture. Just to recap, ten pictures have been nominated for Best Pictures and it's quite a field. I am pleasantly surprised by this movie and disagree with Geri's opinion of the film. But then, I am a fan of the Coen boys. The only movie to date that I've seen that I thought they've wasted our time on is Burn After Reading. The script was horrible. But, I digress. A Serious Man is based on the Old Testament Book of Job. Job was a serious man who was religious and believed in God, very seriously. He was righteous man. Read the Bible, you'll see. Or, you will try to see. My Bible is a bit dry and I didn't get as far as I meant to. The Coens' version is set in the '60's complete with Jefferson Airplane, '60's decor, the cars and the beginning of the new mores. A bit less dry than mine. And, they have Adam Arkin and a few other names. Noticeably, there are a lot of new faces in the film. Not the usual regulars one finds in their movies. But the acting was fine, the script was great and kept my interest. The story was told. I think the problem some might have with this movie is the ending. If you don't know that this is a parable, and it's based on the Book of Job, it leaves you hanging. One must have faith that all will turn out in one's favor if you are a righteous man, or in this case a serious man. I believe the movie didn't get this point across as clear as it should have. But I did like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment