Monday, February 1, 2010

Movies 2010

I think it's time to start a new note despite that fact that I'm still seeing 2009 movies. Also, I've been checking out the awards shows: Golden Globes and SAG awards so far. They are the big run-up to the Oscars, at least in my mind. I know they serve their own purpose and the awards do mean something to those that win the awards, after all, it is something to point to, something to put in the movie ad, something to have on the resume. So, I've been digressing.

I'd like to start with a little film called Sunshine Cleaning. Not to be confused with Little Miss Sunshine, though Alan Arkin is in both and he's great in both. I've decided that if there is a movie with Sunshine in the title and Alan Arkin is in it, then I will definitely see it. Heck, from now on, I'll see anything Alan Arkin is in. That said, this is a gem of a little movie with a central character trying to make a life for herself (Amy Adams) and her son (born out of wedlock). Alan Arkin is her father. She also has a slacker sister (Emily Blunt, who can do no wrong as far as I know). Amy is cleaning houses and finds out there is more, much more, money in cleaning up crime scenes. Hence, a new business. However, there are a few hiccups. Watch the film. It's fun, not gory, though not as hilarious as Little Miss Sunshine.

And now onto Inglourious Basterds. I have decided that Quentin Tarantino is a genius. Which means that I now have to see Reservoir Dogs, the only QT film unwatched by me. My son Paul tells me that since I sat through the woodchipper scene in Fargo (oops, I almost gave something away if you haven't seen Fargo, though if you are squeamish, don't even think about Fargo, there's this woodchipper scene that doesn't involve wood...) anyway, Reservoir Dogs I should be able to handle since I handled not only Fargo but Kill Bill I and II. By the way, I loved them both. Again, I have wandered off the path.

Inglourious Basterds is a rollicking good film that I think QT wrote after listening to a particular David Bowie song. I could be wrong. But it would make so much sense, especially as he is so inspired by music and has said on interviews that the music comes first. But the film itself is so well done and well casted. Christoph Waltz has been cleaning up at the awards shows for Best Supporting Actor and he should! He looks like he's having a blast playing such an evil psychopathic Nazi having so much fun fulfilling his job description. And Brad Pitt and his Basterds..... they are quite serious about their endeavours as well. And also trophy taking. And then there is Shosannah. Mix it all up and you are starting........ I don't want to ruin this for everyone but you have to see it! Just think of a Bowie song. You can now get the movie on Netflix.

It's been a busy weekend, this last weekend in January! First, Kathryn Bigelow won the Director's Guild Award- Congratulations to Kathryn for a job extremely well done! The Hurt Locker is the movie that has stayed with me the most of of all the ones I've seen. It's a gripping, personal tale on the war in Iraq. I highly recommend it. Now on to more movies:

Identity: This is a thriller that came out in 2003. Stars include John Cusack, Amanda Peet and Ray Liotta. Also Jake Busey. It's a short film, 1 and 1/2 hours long. At first it seemed like a bad horror film to tell the truth but if you hang in there, it gets a bit better. It has a few twists and turns and you may figure out what is happening. But I didn't see the end coming. Nor did Alfred Molina.

Pan's Labyrinth: The way this movie was advertised one got the impression that it was gory and violent. I didn't find it this way at all, or perhaps the battle scenes were but because it was appropriate in the scenes it didn't bother me. But then I've been catching up on the Coen Brothers and QT lately so maybe I'm finally becoming a bit less squeamish. I found the film charming in a growing up fairy tale kind of way. Not sure if anyone will understand that. I love fairy tales, which I "inherited" from my mother and this movie incorporates real life and fairy tales.

Up in the Air: What can I say? George Clooney is almost as good looking as my brother. (I leave it you to decide which brother.) So, I'm partial to George. I saw it this afternoon and I have been especially interested in seeing it as the movie has been nominated for several awards (Golden Globes and SAG awards). Vera Farmiga is wonderful with George, Jason Bateman as the boss and Anna Kendrick as the newby are great. But I'm struggling with how to categorize the movie. It was good, enjoyable, slightly better than most, but I'm having trouble coming up with great. I would be interested to hear/read what others think.

Of the three movies I watched this weekend, Pan's Labyrinth was by far and away the best. Identity came in second and Up in the Air third. I'm still mulling that movie over. I'm wondering if the headache I had made me miss a vital point. If I did, enlighten me.

1 comment:

  1. With 4 kids I don't get to the movies often. Thankfully when we do it is a bit more upscale than for a 5 year lod! Thanks fo this blog to help me sort through what is the best to see when I can (or rent it!!)

    ReplyDelete