Monday, February 1, 2010

Jane's 2009 Oscar Picks

As some of you know, I go to the movies with certain friends on a regular basis. Once a month or so, we meet for brunch, then see a movie. This has been happening for about 14 or 15 years (my, how time flies and we have managed to stay looking so young and vibrant!). For several months, from September 2007 to March 2008, I was unable to do so because of my husband's ill health and eventual passing. It has been a difficult year for me (but please don't cry for me Argentina) so this year I have immersed myself in the movies and it has helped. I have managed to see many of the nominated films, or films with major nominations. I've missed a couple and/or have one or two to watch. I'm watching The Visitor tonight on DVD and will see Milk tomorrow. I will not be able to see Frozen River to gauge Melissa Leo's performance though my very knowledgeable sister Kate has said it is wonderful and no one I know has seen Penelope Cruz's performance in Vicky Cristina Barcelona (last we checked a few weeks ago, the closest it was playing to Boston was Providence). With those disclaimers (and I will update my opinions after I see the last two movies) herewith are my picks if anyone cares to read this:

Cinematography: Saw all nominees already, all were good, Slumdog might take it because of a landslide, Ben Buttons could take it because it was three hours long so lots of stuff to look at but I like The Dark Knight for this. Especially that really chase scene with tractor trailers. I love that stuff! What I really need now is a Die Hard V. Where's Bruce Willis when I need him?

Best Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog, hands down. Didn't seem forced, felt like an original story, melded seamlessly. I came out of the theatre with no qualms. The Reader made me want to know the backstory. Ben Buttons I had problems with- if he was born an infant, he should have died an adult-sized person. Doubt was too stagy or something, not totally comfortable. Frost/Nixon was very good but not quite as comfortable as Slumdog.

Film Editing: I'm a Slumdog girl all the way. This has by far been my picture all along. The Reader is my number two.

Actor Supporting: This is tough, I didn't see Robert Downey Jr's performance or Michael Shannon. I'm seeing Milk tomorrow. We all know the smart money is on Heath. But I have to say, I watched TDK twice and both times I was on the edge of my seat waiting for Heath to come back on screen. My opinion? He should have been nominated for Best Actor. It was his movie. He's my pick. He was so good in 10 Things I Hate About You (The Taming of the Shrew set in a high school) and every other thing). Hey, I'm a fan.

Actress Supporting: The only one I didn't see is Penelope and she probably blew everyone else away. That said, if someone else wins, I bet it would be Taraji Henson. She was great in Ben Buttons. Marisa was great and the two from Doubt were good but Taraji was better.

Best Actor: With reservations as I haven't seen Richard Jenkins or Sean Penn yet. Mickey Rourke.

Best Actress: As I said, I haven't seen Melissa Leo. My pick is Kate Winslet. She got naked and had sex. Meryl had no makeup and wore the silliest nun's habit I have ever seen in my life. And that accent? It was okay and finally settled on the Bronx. It's Kate's to lose.

Best Director: Danny Boyle. (with reservations until I see Milk, but.....)

Best Picture: Slumdog. (With reservations until I see Milk, but......)

Geri said: I too am a movie buff and agree with you on most of your picks. I am picking Sean Penn as Best Actor - he had to go so much deeper to portray his character than Mickey Rourke (who was also exceptional). I like Ben Buttons for cinematography. But I know the real reason I'm watching the Oscars tomorrow night - Hugh Jackman!!! Too bad Australia wasn't nominated for anything - Hugh could have re-created his shower scene - best cinematography I saw all year :)

My cousin said: Excellent post Jane. A few comments: I thought Penelope Cruz was overrated for her role. Amy Adams did I better job in my opinion. I remember Melissa Leo when she was on "All My Children"- many years ago. I haven't seen Slumdog or Milk or Button yet. I thought Meryl had the Bronx accent down to a science. Also the silly nun's habit was the actual ... See More habit that the Sisters of Charity wore. It wasn't a made up costume. Michael Shannon did a good job as the ex-mental patient in Revolutionary Road. I didn't see The Reader but love Kate Winslet - ever since I saw her in " Heavenly Creatures" one of the best movies ever made. For the best World War 2 movie I recommend " Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" based on the real life story of Jimmy Doolittle's Raids. Watched it today for the first time. Van Johnson and Spencer Tracy were great!
Back to Jane AGAIN: Having seen The Visitor and Milk now, I will say I did like both movies. A lot. The best actor category will be a fight between Sean and Mickey and both deserve it. The Best Picture/Director will be between Slumdog and Milk. I'm siding with Slumdog because it's been my fave all along but I will not be disappointed if Milk wins. My only disappointment will be if Ben Buttons wins or Brad Pitt wins. But we'll know in just a few hours!

I could continue to add everyone's comments but from now on, we'll let everyone post there own....

No comments:

Post a Comment