Monday, February 1, 2010

2009 Movies

I was having dinner with friends this past weekend and they mentioned that I hadn't written any movie reviews lately. Well, I thought, though I have been in a deep funk lately, that is no reason to deprive my friends of my opinion. Then I had to remember the movies I've seen since the Academy Awards in February. Since the mad dash in February (see my previous note detailing that weekend in which I saw four movies in record time), I took a little time off. I will also mention that I am trying to tie the movies and books together. The Reader (movie) made me want to read the book. I do try to read the book first. So, this topic will come up a bit later and I will do a post about books in the near future. By the way, all this is to encourage all my friends to comment and share their thoughts and provide additional recommendations of what to see and read. Please, I beg you to do that.

And now: The Movies!
Seen in the theatre in no particular order other than this is how I remember it:

The Soloist: It's okay. I was disappointed. I would like to read the book. I don't think it translated well to the screen though I think under different hands it would have. The acting was fine. It was how certain elements and thoughts were interpreted.

Burn After Reading: What is there to say? Brad was hilarious. Other than that, I think Ethan and Joel forgot how to write and every other work was F**K. They also lost their sense of plot. The casting was wonderful and therefore the screenplay was even more disappointing. There is an interesting invention care of George Clooney. But the movie's a bust.

The Hurt Locker: Excellent. A look at the Iraqi War experience through the personal eyes of three American soldiers. A must see. It took me a while to digest.

The Taking of Pelham 1.2.3. I was fortunate to catch the original on TV right before I saw this. I had read the book when it first came out (I was a precocious toddler.) This second remake (yes, the first remake no one talks about, apparently), is very good- Denzel and Travolta. How can anyone go wrong with Travolta?

The Julie/Julia Project: I read the Julie Powers book on vacation before seeing the movie. I didn't get a chance to read My Life in France by Julia Child but I had seen some biographical shows on TV. And visited the Smithsonian and drooled over her kitchen, not once but twice. I loved the movie. I recommend reading both books if you have the time, if not, at least Julie Powell's. But if you don't, go ahead and enjoy anyway. Meryl and Stanley Tucci as the Childs are absolutely wonderful. And as far as trying to cook through MtAoFC in 365 days, God Bless Julie Powell. She actually did it, in a rented apartment in New York, while working full time. I bow before her culinary greatness, especially since I am a wimp and there are foods I would never, ever attempt.

District 9: Wonderful political sci-fi set in South Africa written and directed Neill Blomkampf and produced by the inimitable Peter Jackson. I want to explain it in full and I don't want to tell you anything so you will experience it all. It's fantastic, complicated, the CGI is phenomenal! It's a great plot, it's relevant and there's no actor you will recognize. Can you tell I liked it?

Hancock- came out in spring, it's the bad-guy superhero story with Will Smith. It's okay. The first half of the movie was one story and then it switched into another story, basically. It was strange. It's like a two-parter. It's fun in a way, but it's not going to win any awards.

Angels and Demons- the movie related to DaVinci Code. The only thing I can remember about this movie is that I loved the wonderful travelogue of Rome. I cannot remember anything else at all. I have no friggin' idea of the plot. I think Tom Hanks was in it.

My sister-in-law lent me the book The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger last year. I read most of it and got almost to the end. When I realized what was about to happen, I stopped reading (most people will understand). Then I realized the movie was coming out and I'd have to finish the book. So I did. And saw the movie with my good friend Joanne. The movie was beyond my expectations (which were low, to tell the truth), and the movie was enjoyable despite the story. So overall, a good movie, but it's a chick flick.

And now a word for some DVD's you must watch:
First and foremost, a list of my favorite movies of all time:
Local Hero
Waking Ned Devine
Blues Brothers
Billie Elliott

And now, the recently viewed:

Little Miss Sunshine: I watched this on vacation. Three times, with three different people. It's one of the most hilarious movies I've ever seen. I'll apologize ahead of time if you watch it and you don't like it, but really, if you can't care for this dysfunctional family, I despair for humanity.

Once: A busker on the streets of Dublin meets a young lady who needs her vacuum cleaner repaired and she just happens to play piano beautifully, and sings. It's less than two hours of your life. Waste it. (It's not really a waste, I promise.)

Love, Actually: Some might call this a chick flick. It's my favorite Christmas movie that I want to watch all year long. Others, like my friend Bruce, would call this one of those films great for playing 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Everyone (mostly British) is in it. Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy, Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Firth, Keira Knightly, Rowan Atkinson, Elisha Cuthbert, Claudia Schiffer, Denise Richards.... the movie takes place in London (mostly) and concerns eight couples (mostly) over five weeks before Christmas (mostly). But the main premise is that love is actually all around. It is an upbeat movie as it doesn't concentrate on one type of love. This movie has been added to the list of my all time favorite movies and one of my favorite people in my life has graciously and kindly given me my own copy! Thanks MD! Love YA!

The last two movies are both by the Coen Brothers: Barton Fink and Oh Brothers Where Art Though? I have truly loved Oh Brother (what a soundtrack) for a long time but just finally watched BF recently. They are both great movies. I hadn't realized that BF pre-dated so many of the other Coen Bros. films (I had to look that up.)

November 11th: Just watched Kill Bill Volumes I and II: Quentin Tarantino's movies. Both are a must see together. Vol. I is more violent than II but the violence is minimized and usually filmed in black and white. The story is interesting and well-told. I found it held my interest in compelling way. QT likes to do homage to older movies and I am not well-schooled in this so I probably missed a lot of references. The music is great, as in any QT movie. The most important fact is that these movies make a whole, they don't stand alone. My opinion is a two thumbs up.

November 15: Men Who Stare At Goats: I found this hilarious in a gentle way. It wasn't like the slapstick of Mel Brooks, but more of a thoughtful Charles Grodin comedy. Funny throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, was exceedingly entertained and certainly got my money's worth. George Clooney was at the top of his game and Jeff Bridges, Ewan McGregor and Kevin Spacey were great.

November 22: The Blind Side: True story of now rookie Michael Oher playing for the Baltimore Ravens. Very enjoyable, humorous in parts, no sappiness. Not a chick flick. Two thumbs up.

December 29: Avatar. James Cameron's epic in 3D (you must see it in 3D!). To quote everyone else: "Visually stunning." Absolutely. I agree wholeheartedly. But I found the movie a bit long. It didn't hold my interest as much as it should have. This is determined when one gets uncomfortable in the movie seat. The arc of the main character was predictable and that's okay. No one else had any arc, the plot was ruthlessly mundane. I think that District 9 told this story much better if one thinks it is about one species against another. Avatar also brings in environmentalism. Overall, I think it's neck and neck for cinematography between Avatar and District 9. I haven't seen The Lovely Bones by Peter Jackson yet and that promises some very interesting CGI work. It will be an interesting Oscar season this year!

Okay, for some reason I thought I had written about Where The Wild Things Are. I saw it with my brother Joe and his daughter who is 8. The movie was, in turns, very engaging, a little frightening and vvvveeeerrrrryyyyyyy slow. I could tell this by watching my niece. It is any interesting interpretation of the book. I have loved this book from the first time I saw it as a young child. One of the most engaging things about it is the ability for a child to "read" this book at one's own pace. It can take hours. Just look at each picture and create the dialog in one's head and create the story. It can be different each time. The movie does this now- it has a definite story, a definite point. My take is that the film is appropriate for ages 8 and up.

And last but not least: Another Coen Brothers film. Miller's Crossing. I am slowly working my way through their work. The cast is great and includes a very young, uncredited Frances McDormand. The movie was great. Lots of dialog, the usual amount of gunplay/violence, and the period details are wonderful. I may have to have a separate note for the Coen Brothers.

There are other 2009 films to see and comment on as the Oscar nominations loom ahead. It looks like it will be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment