Saturday, February 6, 2010

Oscar Nominations are Announced!

Hi, this is Jane. The Oscar Nominations were announced on Tuesday morning. (Geri and I haven't worked out how this whole thing will work quite yet, so I figure I'll identify myself.) This was, of course, the highlight of my week. I spent the rest of the week trying to figure out which movies I needed to see between now and March 7, 2010. With the ten nominees for Best Picture, I was glad to find I had already seen six, along with two best actors, a couple of best actresses and four, count 'em, four best directors.

And the nominations for Best Motion Picture of the Year:
The Hurt Locker
District(
Inglorious Basterds
Avatar
The Blind Side
Up in the Air
An Education
Up
A Serious Man
Precious

I have ranked the first six movies in the order I like them. I saw the Hurt Locker when it came out. My original post was very succinct. On purpose. It is one of those films that one doesn't want to say too much as it is a personal film. I think Kathryn Bigelow did a fantastic job on a difficult subject. She made me think and more importantly, after all these months, after all the films I have seen, both in theatres, dvds and streaming, this is the one. The one that has stayed with me. Truly rocked my boat. I want to recommend it without saying more.

District 9: I loved this film. If you review the other posts (originally posted on my facebook notes), I think you'll find I loved this film. It came out of nowhere (actually South Africa, I found out later) and Peter Jackson produced it. It was different, it was sci-fi with a political message and I think it worked quite well. The story hung together well from start to finish. I know there are some who don't agree. But I left the theatre very happy.

Inglorious Basterds: What can I say? Thanks QT! What a film! I look forward to Christoph Waltz picking up a third award for best supporting actor. He was fabulous. I have read that for Quentin Tarantino, the music comes first. By the time the particular David Bowie song starts playing in the movie, one finally understands how one little tune can inspire a man to write a whole movie around it. It deserves all the nominations it gets! Let me watch all the other nominees and maybe I'll rearrange my list. But I think Hurt Locker has you beat this year. But I love you, QT.

Avatar: Here's the deal with Avatar. Phenomenal special effects. Absolutely mind-boggling in 3-D. The whole story line was done better in District 9 as far as politics was concerned and it was much shorter if you compare sci-fi politics. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason it is nominated is the blockbuster office receipts and phenomenal technology. All the other nominees have better story lines and I'm sure I won't get distracted and my rear end won't be sore half-way through the movie.

The Blind Side: Feel good movie of the year. Who knew Sandra looked so good as a blonde? And Tim McGraw can learn lines. The Academy needed 10. 'nough said.

Up in the Air: I love George Clooney. I really do. He's almost as good looking as one of my brothers. (I'll let them fight it out.) It's a nice movie. It's relevant to the current economy and the lack of connection we have to each other in society. But as I said, they needed 10. This movie is not top 5.

I have not seen the last four. Here's my problem. The closest A Serious Man is playing to my house is approximately 175 miles away as of yesterday. I truly want to see this. I wanted to see it when it came out and I don't know why I didn't. I'm seeing An Education tomorrow. I'll add comments and tell you about Best Directors (since I've already covered their movies here!).

Happy movies and popcorn!





























No comments:

Post a Comment