Monday, January 17, 2011

The K-K-K-K King’s Speech


King George VI succeeded his brother, King Edward VIII upon Ed’s abdication of the throne in 1936 so that he could marry the love of his life, a twice divorced woman.  George (hereafter G VI) was born Albert Frederick Arthur George; on December 14, 1895 and reigned until his death at the young age of 56 (1952).  He was married to Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, a descendent of Robert the Bruce.  They had two daughters, Elizabeth (later Elizabeth II) and Margaret.  So, we have G VI, his wife, later known to us as the Queen Mum, as well as the princesses Elizabeth and Margaret.  G VI (or Bertie as he was called by family) had never expected to be king.  But, due to his brother’s abdication, there he was. 

Unfortunately, G VI had a small problem:  he stammered.  That is what this movie is about.  After many different doctors and consultations, he still stammered.  Then, someone found Lionel Logue, an Australian speech therapist who had relocated to England.  They forged a relationship that was unusual for a monarch and a commoner, became friends and remained so for the remainder of their lives.  This we all know and thus, we know that G VI will be able to give a speech by the end of the movie.

The movie sounds boring.  A real snooze.  But it’s not.  Thanks to Colin Firth (G VI), Helena Bonham-Carter (Queen Mum) and Geoffrey Rush (Lionel Logue), there is a human story here.  Colin does a wonderful job with a character that must be difficult to play- having to stammer, stutter and trip over words he wants and needs to say.  He is very, very believable.  Geoffrey Rush is great as the speech therapist, Logue.  He is a helpful but stubborn character.  G VI must follow his rules:  first names only (no HRH here, just Bertie), do his exercises and relax enough to follow instructions.  G VI is combative at first….. as one would expect.  Mr. Rush’s comportment as Logue also is a wonderful performance.  I want to say the character is reserved, but it’s not.  Low-key, respectful but assured.   Very different that his role of Barbossa (Pirates of the Caribbean), Trotsky (Frida), Philip Henslowe (Shakespeare In Love) and David Helfgott (Shine).  I haven’t seen any of his other roles, but he does a marvelous job of making me believe the character.  Helena Bonham-Carter is good, not overly noticeable but a caring helpmeet to G VI.  And it is always nice to Derek Jacobi (Archbishop). 

It is a good film.  My attention didn’t wander, I didn’t get “antsy” and the performances and writing were good.  As it is now awards season, I do think this may be Oscar worthy.  As far as my ranking of favorite films:  it’s still Winter’s Bone; Inception; Never Let Me Go, The Fighter and Black Swan ( three-way tie); The King’s Speech.  I don’t think True Grit is Oscar worthy.  I liked The Social Network, but I don’t think it’s as good as my favorite five.  (The Hollywood Foreign Press disagrees with me.)  The Town and 127 Hours are just not that good, in my opinion.  But, many people don’t agree with me.  Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to see more movies! I still haven't seen Winter's Bone, Inception, Never Let Me Go, the Fighter and Black Swan. I've only seen your bottom two choices...gotta get me to a rental shop or theater.

    ReplyDelete