Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Few New Movies (At least to Jane)

It's been a little while. Sorry about that. Had a little trouble with my browser. All my fault of course. Saw a few movies, Netflix, TV and at the theatre. Here we go!

Shoot 'em Up:
This came on TV last night. I believe it was made in 2007. Sometimes the title tells you what you need to know. But it's Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. And it's funny. Yes, there is lots of blood. After all, look at the title. Believe it or not, I found it funnier than Die Hard 4. It is not my intention to give the plot away so when you have time, give it a look. If you don't mind a Shoot 'em Up.

Lady Jane Grey:
This has Helena Bonham Carter as Lady Jane Grey and Cary Elwes as Guildford Dudley, her husband. It is the story of the nine days Queen- Lady Jane Grey. She was put on the throne by her parents and Lord Dudley in order to preserve Protestantism in England upon the death of young Edward Tudor. She takes the throne, unwillingly, between Edward VI and Queen Mary-also known as Bloody Mary. The movie was made in 1986. Approximately 25% of the story is true. Carter and Elwes have a great time and are wonderful to watch. Unfortunately, not the story I was hoping for as most of it has no basis in reality.

The Ghost Writer:
Just saw this at the theatre. Great film. Roman Polanski. Lots of great actors. Including a friend named Eben Young. I enjoyed the film very much though it was bit slow in the middle. The end was a surprise which I never saw coming- though I had stopped looking. Another good thing. That Tom Wilkinson pops up everywhere and in everything. Someone needs to give that man an award for versatility.

4 comments:

  1. Randomly happened upon Shoot'Em Up yesterday. Strange and bizarre, but couldn't stop watching it. Kept asking my wife if Giamatti lost weight until I realized I was confusing him with Gandolfini. Then I said, oh yeah, he was the guy in that wine country movie where Sandra Oh smacked the guy in the head with a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure that the experience which i get on dish network is unmatchable, picture is so clear that it pushes the enjoyment many-fold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Shoot 'em Up, didn't you think the Bugs Bunny references were hysterical? I love how we first see Clive Owen, just like Bugs, eating a carrot, and then deciding, Okay, I better help this person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't want to give anything away when I discussed the movie. There are so many little wonderful parts to that movie. For those who have seen it, did you keep up with the body count? Giamatti's character was kind enough to stop and give us the score from time to time! And Clive's character found such wonderful uses for the carrots! And the baby! Such predicaments!

    ReplyDelete