Monday, November 15, 2010

The Social Network (or How Facebook Came to Be)

Yesterday, being a weekend day and a lovely one to have brunch with a friend then wander off to a movie since we hadn't had time to see each other in quite awhile, we decided to take in The Social Network.  First, let me say that the Brunch at Papa Razzi is always wonderful.  This is a "chain" sort of.  I think there are a few restaurants in New England and maybe a couple in New York or maybe one in Paramus, NJ.  If you are so lucky, go have brunch.  Or lunch or dinner, for that matter.  I just adore their risotto but the Tuscan Eggs Benedict calls to me.  Why on earth would I think of making hollandaise sauce or consider poaching an egg when they will do it for me AND serve it with a mimosa?  I am a practical woman.  Give me brunch and I will then go to a movie.  So we did.

We were so smart having brunch, we went to the matinee and paid the frugal price at the theatre!  I just love doing that.  And we learned all about how Facebook was originally "The Facebook" and before that it really should have been "Harvard Connection" because apparently Mark Zuckerberg was hired to set up a program for three seniors as a business.  But these seniors weren't as perspicacious as Zuckerberg (not that he was at first, either), but he was smart enough to keep it all to himself.  The screenplay is written by Aaron Sorkin (whom I just love, he wrote Sports Night, West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip for television) based on the book by Ben Mezrich.  Jesse Eisenberg (Mark Zuckerberg), Andrew Garfield (Eduardo Saverin- co-founder of Facebook) and Justin Timberlake (Sean Parker) were all very believable in their roles.  It was a film that kept my interest all the way through, I didn't find myself wondering what time it was or thinking of anything else.  Though I must say I wanted to smack those Winklevoss twins in the head once or twice.  Real nitwits.  Or perhaps that's just how the parts were written.  Sorry boys.

Overall, I give the movie a B+.  I would think to see a nomination for best screenplay for Aaron Sorkin.  Perhaps Best Supporting Actor for Andrew Garfield or Justin Timberlake.  Depends what the rest of the competition brings in the next 45 days.  It's time to think about these things.  I think Andrew Garfield would probably get a nomination for his work in Never Let Me Go, which was more powerful than here, perhaps.  But combining his performances in both movies, he is bound to get a nomination.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This movie is on my "theater" list - which is rare. I really want to see it even though I hate Facebook, I think because the whole how the hell people come up with these things that go viral fascinates me. And I didn't know it was a Sorkin project - how did I not know that? I must be living under a rock. Theater here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. It's only a B+ in my estimation and I don't consider it Fincher's best. I hold that place for Zodiac and Benjamin Button. I found the film interesting - just not amazingly compelling. Yes, the twins needed twin slaps. Spoiled preps!

    Also, thanks for your comments on my blog - and I want to share with you a link to a post I wrote a while back - before discovering your blog - that you will find serendipitous.

    ReplyDelete