Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hereafter: Matt Damon and Clint Eastwood team up again

The movie Hereafter is a story that considers what happens after death.  Of this, I will try to write no more.  In my first draft (just moments ago), I gave it away.  If you have seen the previews, you know it involves a tormented man, a tsunami and maybe other stuff. 

After reading several reviews and then seeing the movie this afternoon, I have several thoughts.  The first is that, no matter what anyone says, if you want to see the movie, see it.  Go in with an open mind.  Enjoy it.  Leave the theatre, think about it.  Decide how important or unimportant it is.  Maybe it's just entertainment.  It could just be an old man's musings on what happens in the hereafter.  It could just be that there have been so, so many stories told by people brought back from the brink of death that all have the same quality and images.  I will warn you of this:  it is slow paced and each moment is carefully crafted.  Of the four of us who saw the film together, two felt it dragged and was boring in places.  Two of us felt every moment was interesting and never dragged.  But back to the first part- some will expect the movie to go further in its exploration and it won't.

Now, my opinion.  Yes, I always have one as everyone, especially my family, knows.  I just loved this movie.  There are probably several areas of the movie that can be criticized but I loved the concept, the music (Clint wrote it as he mostly does these days), I found the manner in which the stories were told to be deft and careful.  The story lines are brought together in a bit less than perfect way but how the ending occurs is a bit amusing, at least to me.  And yes, one of the story lines is quite the tearjerker.  I do believe Clint tries not to make it so, but I am one of those people who will drop a tear.  The movie is not manipulative, it is just a presentation of a thought, an idea.

It seems the run-up to Oscar season is starting.  This film will have more than one nomination, I think.  Not sure what categories.  Depends on the competition.  Good luck, Clint.

1 comment:

  1. But back to the first part- some will expect the movie to go further in its exploration and it won't. This was one of my disappointments. It doesn't come to any deep conclusions.

    Though I thought the ending was silly, I was not bored by this movie because I was interested in how it would all come together in the end. Some parts didn't work for me, but I enjoyed Matt Damon - he's a solid actor with great presence. And I liked his flirtation with Melanie (Howard), and the revelation he makes to her was a dramatic conclusion to this episode - better the film's ultimate ending.

    ReplyDelete