Friday, September 10, 2010

Secretariat- Coming to a Theatre Near You on October 10th

I had the great good fortune, and a friend named Amy, to see the sneak preview of Secretariat last night. Amy was able to score free tickets for a group of us. She's connected. Want anything in town? Want to know what's happening? I ask Amy. She's my go-to person. Anyway, Secretariat will be released next month on October 10th, according to IMDB. I had never been to a sneak preview before. We were "wanded" and told to turn off our cell phones. No recording devices allowed. They weren't overly strict about anything as I sneaked in two water bottles and snacks. How closely did they check me? But on to the movie.

The movie, as you may have surmised, is about the horse named Secretariat. Some feel this is the greatest horse that ever lived, at least the movie states this point. The movie is "suggested" by the story of somebody. Not even "based on". This gave me a fit of giggles since Secretariat was a real horse, the events actually happened, the characters actually lived. So the statement that the movie was "suggested by" anything makes me wonder just how far off the facts it was going to be. Unfortunately, I was 15 when Secretariat was in his racing glory and had no interest in the Triple Crown.

The movie is produced by Walt Disney and rated PG. It's just two hours long. It runs a bit slow for the most part. Younger kids may lose interest, I felt myself wandering a bit from time to time. The excitement level increased during the scenes with the horse training and racing. The movie leads are Diane Lane and John Malkovich. Can I tell you how wonderful and funny Malkovich is? No, I don't think I can. He eventually tones it down but it makes the movie so much fun. Margo Martindale plays Miss Ham (you know you've seen her elsewhere and it bugged me but I've looked her up on IMDB so I'm happy now), Scott Glenn (Diane Lane's father) - he's familiar too. Fred Thompson also has a role. All in all, a nice movie to take the kids, especially the horse-obsessed girls to.

Will I see it again when it comes out in October? Sure- I plan on taking my nieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment